Finding the perfect steam iron for your ironing needs can make all the difference in achieving flawless, wrinkle-free results quickly.
But with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to select the right one. We’re here to help. In our comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the key factors to consider when choosing an iron, ensuring that you make an informed decision. Say goodbye to creases and hello to a well-pressed wardrobe with the perfect iron for your needs.
Which Iron Type Is Best?
Before diving into the selection process, it’s helpful to understand the different types of irons available…
- Traditional steam iron. The best steam iron is suitable for most household ironing needs. It generates steam and has various heat settings to accommodate different fabrics.
- Steam generator iron. Ideal for heavy-duty ironing tasks, such as large batches of laundry or thick fabrics. Steam generator irons have a separate water tank and a powerful steam output for quick & efficient wrinkle removal.
- Travel iron. Compact and portable, travel irons are designed for on-the-go use. They are lightweight and easily fit into a suitcase, making them ideal for business trips or vacations.
7 Key Features to Consider
To make an informed decision when choosing an iron, consider the following key features:
- Steam functionality: Look for an iron with a high steam output. High steam production helps relax the fabric fibres and removes wrinkles effectively. Adjustable steam settings allow you to customise the steam output based on your ironing needs.
- Soleplate material: The soleplate is the bottom surface of the iron that comes into direct contact with the fabric. Common soleplate materials include stainless steel, ceramic, and nonstick coatings. Each material offers different benefits, such as enhanced glide, even heat distribution, and resistance to sticking.
- Temperature control: Most irons have an adjustable temperature setting to accommodate different fabric types. This feature allows you to tailor the heat level to delicate fabrics, such as silk, or higher temperatures for cotton or linen. If you can afford to spend a little more, consider a model that adjusts the temperature automatically – this technology works well & makes a big difference.
- Safety features: Look for irons equipped with safety features like an auto-shutoff function. This feature automatically turns off the iron after a period of inactivity, providing peace of mind and preventing accidents.
- Water tank capacity: Lots of steam makes ironing quicker but it’s important to match this with a decent water tank capacity. A larger tank means less frequent refills, allowing for uninterrupted ironing sessions.
- Cord length and swivel: A longer cord provides flexibility and ease of movement during ironing. Additionally, a swivel cord prevents tangling and allows for smooth manoeuvrability. That said, if the cord is too long it can get tangled.
- Weight: A lightweight handset is always better for your wrist & back. Plus, you’ll see better results. Let the steam take out the creases and the non-stick soleplate glide – no need to press down.
3 Additional Considerations
While the key features mentioned above are essential, don’t forget to consider these additional factors when choosing an iron:
- Budget: Determine your budget range and look for irons that offer the desired features within that range. Remember, a higher price doesn’t always guarantee superior performance.
- Brand reputation: Consider brands with a strong reputation for producing reliable and high-quality irons. Well-established brands often have a track record of customer satisfaction and offer better warranty and customer support.
- Reviews and ratings: Not all irons are made equal. Check out Verum’s top-rated models before making a purchase.
Choose an iron with high steam output, an easy glide soleplate and a lightweight handset. And you’ll spend less time ironing & look smarter more of the time – what’s not to like? If you feel overwhelmed by doing your own research or simply want to check out the top models, click here to see the UK’s top steam irons.
You’ll find the best ideal iron for you & your budget.
S H A R E